Just so nobody gets offended, the only reason the woman in this story bothers me is probably because of the way that I was raised. I promise that we can still be friends if you believe what this woman believes.
Well last week I was in for quite a surprise....
This was the beginning of a scene between 2 people that I had observed in the Wilk: A bus load of people get off of at the Wilk bus stop. A 40 year old woman gets off first and a young man in his 20's got off after her. They were both walking up to the Wilk and they did not appear to know each other. The woman gets to the Wilk doors first, and opens the door for the young man and smiles at him. Now the young man is walking a couple of steps ahead of the woman. The woman hurries to catch up and walk besides the man and says in a very harsh tone, "Hasn't anyone ever taught you that men are suppose to open the doors for women and not the other way around?"
The man, rather caught off guard says, "What?"
The woman is now annoyed and replies, "You know, didn't your parents ever teach you that men are always suppose to open the door for women? That's what my parents taught me to do."
That was when I had stopped listening because I had heard enough. Sure, I think it's nice that when someone holds the door open for you so that it doesn't slam in your face, but I've never had the mentality that guys need to be opening all the doors for women (especially when the woman is a few paces ahead of the man and will reach the door before him). I just always thought that the person walking ahead of me would at least hold the door a little so it wouldn't hit me in the face as I approached it and I do the same thing no matter who is walking behind me. I was raised that you opened the doors for people to be nice to them- not that guys are responsible to open doors and serve women every single time. I'd like to know what this woman's parents taught her that girls only were suppose to do for guys every single time- to the degree that guys are allowed to scold girls for not doing it every single time for every single guy. Doesn't quite make complete sense to me- but hey, maybe i'm just not old enough to understand yet.
Summer Fun Part 2
1 day ago
5 remarks:
to some chivalry is dead, but to others it's an art that needs to be enforced. it's nice and thoughtful when a man opens the door, but don't make a scene about it when they don't. I thought it was funny that she brought it up to him as if he forgot to wash his hands after going to the bathroom.
I know! It's still nice when guys open the doors! I still appreciate that- but i think they appreciate it when girls do it for them as well. Kind of like how I appreciate when David does the dishes or cooks food.
Amen!
And didn't you say that not only did she get to the door first, but she opened it and held it for the man? Did she expect him to take the open door from her so she could walk through it? What an idiot. I always open doors for women, but unless it's my fiance, I'm not going to grab an open door from a woman holding the door for me.
I was thought that you should hold open the door for older people if you are able to like you are walking in front of them. I think that women is crazy though, you are only resonsible if you are infront of the other person.
Post a Comment